Day 4

In honor of the University of Texas playing in the college football National Championship on Thursday . . . .Hook 'em Horns!


EXIF data: (for both photos)
  • Canon Rebel XS w/50mm f/1.8 lens
  • f/1.8
  • SS 1/200
  • ISO 1600
  • No flash
Looking at it now, I wish that I would have upped my f-stop so that bit more of her would have been in focus.

L  – (January 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM)  

i struggle with this all.the.time. we have such bad light in our house that i almost always have to use an iso of of 800-1600. i would really prefer to be in the 400 range...ugh. but i have the same lens as you and i find myself gravitating to the 1.8-2.8 range just so that i can get enough light in to use a faster ss to capture my ever moving 9 month old. but it's so frustrating sometimes because then my dof is too shallow...i can't win. i feel your pain, but fwiw, i think these photos look great. :-) i need to knock some walls down in my house to get some better light. ;-)

beckley  – (January 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM)  

no clue how i got here :) but hi :)
a couple tips-
1-try to keep you iso for portrait work at 200 max- i know it's tough. bump to 400 if you have to, but try other methods if you can bc you'll be happier later/ long-term.

2-if your lens' highest stop is 1.8, it's already going to be soft. it's almost always soft at its highest (most open). so, bump down a little to start with (2&down), unless you want soft or you're dire need/ light.

a good face fstop for baby is 2.8. or, another fun things is to zero in close, hit at 1.8-2, and pick an eye or nose to focus on.

your baby is gorgeous! have fun. again, no clue how i got here, but it's fun to find fellow photogs :)


i grew up in austin. my brother will be at the game :)

Kristin & Mike  – (January 5, 2010 at 7:49 AM)  

As a fellow Horns fan, I just have to say "Hook Em!"

Lisa  – (January 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM)  

Leah - I'm right there with you. It is so hard because the lighting in our house is not very good, I don't have an external flash, and I'm trying everything to not have to use my pop-up flash. Like you said, it is hard to find a balance, because I want to use the most open f-stop for light so I can use a higher SS with my fast moving baby!

Beckley - I'm glad you ended up here :) I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Thanks for all the sweet comments everyone! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments!
Constructive criticism is always welcome!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP